CHECKLIST - Lateral Load information required on plans submitted for Building Permits
1. Indicate Seismic Region where proposed construction is located –
From BCBC Table C-2 Appendix C Division B.
2. Indicate whether it is light or heavy construction. 184.108.40.206. and 220.127.116.11. Heavy construction is defined as buildings with tile roofs or concrete topping on floors.
3. Indicate whether the design standard is BCBC Part 9, Part 4, or the CWC Guide.
NOTE: Part 4 or the CWC Guide requires design by Structural Engineer; not compliance with the specific requirements from Part 9 as noted below.
4. On floor plans:
a. Suggest the use of grid lines to help confirm band alignment on each floor level, as well as cross sections;
b. All braced wall bands must be indicated and dimensioned (for example, by light shading)
c. Centerline of all braced wall bands must be indicated.
d. All braced wall panels must be indicated and dimensioned, (for example, by darker shading, as per Table 18.104.22.168.)
5. Cross sectional view must indicate:
a. Braced wall bands are full storey in height and must be aligned with bands on the storeys below and above, as required by code;
b. The type of braced wall panel – wood or gypsum. For example, if wood sheathed braced wall panels are used on any floor, including basement, then wood sheathed panels are required throughout that brace wall band 22.214.171.124.(4);
c. Fastener size and spacing for all sheathing, braced wall panels and non-braced walls, as per 126.96.36.199;
d. Anchorage size and spacing, for braced wall panels and non-braced wall panels areas (188.8.131.52.). Anchoring a braced wall panel to a slab is not considered adequate anchorage. BCBC 184.108.40.206. requires anchorage to be fastened to a foundation, even for interior braced wall panels.
6. Note any exceptions or trade-offs used in the design complete with dimensions.
See 220.127.116.11.(3), 18.104.22.168.(4), 22.214.171.124.(4), 126.96.36.199., for options.
If the above steps are followed time required for plan review will be reduced.
1. The Percentage of braced wall panels in each braced wall band is required,
188.8.131.52.(1) & 184.108.40.206.(1).