Development Process Overview

The overall vision for how land is to be used and developed in the District of Sechelt is established by the Official Community Plan.  The zoning established by Zoning Bylaw No. 25, 1987 specifies how land can be used under existing rules. The District's Environmental Management and Protection Bylaw No. 484, 2009 and a number of municipal, regional, provincial and federal laws and regulations help ensure land development minimizes its impact on the natural environment.  

Depending on the development proposal or project being contemplated, land development in Sechelt will require a property owner to make a series of applications for bylaw amendments and permits. This process often requires a property owner to engage qualified professionals to assist in this process.

The following table provides some general guidance on what application or permitting process you may have to consider.  Additional documentation and related application forms are available for download in the Document Library.



Approval by

Official Community Plan Amendment

Changes in land use or policy


Rezoning Amendment

Changes in land use or density


Development Permit Process - Form and Character

Development Permit - Environmental Protection / Natural Hazards

Design approval for commercial and multifamily development. 

Development Permits are considered minor when:
- floor area of new construction is less than 100 m2 ; or
- exterior alterations are less than $40,000 in value. 

Requirements for protection of the environment or to deal with natural hazards. 

Development Permits are considered minor when:
- floor area of new construction  is less than 100 m2; or
- not more than 1 additional single family residential lot is created; or
- alteration of land is being undertaken for construction of a single family dwelling; or
- the development permit is for construction or alteration of a single family dwelling

Council or

Planning Staff (minor DP)

Development Variance Permits

For variances to parking, building siting, dimensions and sizing, fencing, signage or servicing requirements



Land division, parcel consolidations or property boundary adjustments

Approving Officer

Building Permit Application Form

Permit/Inspection Process

Permission to build or alter buildings and many types of structures

Building Official

Sign Permits

Permission to erect or replace a sign

Planning Staff

Engineering and Servicing Agreements

Permission to construct new driveways, install new sewer and drain connections, construct or upgrade roads and services

Engineering Staff