The Official Community Plan (OCP) identifies 10 unique neighbourhood areas in the District of Sechelt. Neighbourhood plans are included in the OCP to provide more detailed policies for the neighbourhoods. Some of the neighbourhoods were grouped together,
resulting in six neighbourhood plan areas. Please see
page 108 of the OCP for more information on neighbourhood plans. Community Associations have been formed in many of Sechelt's neighbourhoods.
The Village of Sechelt (Downtown)
The Village neighbourhood was the original settlement until 1986 when incorporation expanded Sechelt's boundaries to include the eight neighbourhoods described below. This community remains the central location for retail and government services for the surrounding communities that today comprise Sechelt.
Steamboats such as the All Red Line's S.S. Selma provided the transportation needed to establish a settlement within the community. The Union Steamship Company purchased the property and cabins in 1917 in today's Selma Park, and expanded on the resort theme. Today Selma Park exists as a quiet residential neighbourhood that stretches along Highway 101.
Davis Bay is noted for it's long stretch of accessible beach and a spectacular view of Georgia Strait and Vancouver Island. Tourist amenities include motels and restaurants, and popular activities such as swimming, beachcombing, and fishing from the wharf. Development occupies the slope above the beach, as people seek the spectacular view, and close proximity to the ocean.
This community was named after James Wilson, a blacksmith employed by the Burns and Jackson's Brothers Logging Camp in 1898. Wilson Creek contains a large rural and residential area surrounding a node of commercial/industrial development. These include Wilson Creek Plaza, two automotive dealerships at the intersection of Field Road - Highway 101, the regional airport, and a fish processing and sawmilling operations at the top of Field Road.
This community is situated on a large plateau, offering one of the few suitable locations for agriculture in the municipality. In 1915, farms were established by pioneers such as W. J. Wakefield and Abe Mason, today West Sechelt has the second largest population within the District, and is the location of substantial new residential developments.
East Porpoise Bay
East Porpoise Bay includes a mixture of industrial and residential areas, including the new subdivision of Porpoise Bay Estates. One of the highlights of the neighbourhood is Porpoise Bay Provincial Park, located on the west side of East Porpoise Bay road.
West Porpoise Bay and Sunshine Heights
This area is now under development with new and recently constructed subdivisions such as The Shores and Sunshine Heights. Features that make this an attractive area for development include the spectacular views of Sechelt Inlet, and the relatively flat, serviced land. Residents also have easy access to the Village of Sechelt, Kinnikinnick Park, the Arena and the Sechelt Golf & Country Club.
Initially developed for summer cottages, this area grew substantially more after 1963 when a development company started to build permanent homes and cottages in the area. The name Sandy Hook was created when sand was placed on the waterfront to make the area more attractive. The area still retains a cottage 'feeling', with many of the homes overlooking Sechelt Inlet. Additional features of the area include a children's park, and a boat launching facility.
Tuwanek is located on the east side of Sechelt Inlet at the foot of Mount Richardson. The name is derived from one of the original four "septs" (division of the Sechelt Nation) located around Narrows Arm. Recreational activities include, Tillicum Bay Marina, the Tetrahedron Plateau and Provincial Park. Commercial enterprises include the Gray Creek Fish Hatchery, and a log booming/sorting operation.