Runway Improvement and Extension at Sunshine Coast Regional Airport
The construction of Sechelt Runway Expansion Project has been awarded to Jakes Construction Ltd. The works include resurfacing the existing 731m runway, extending the runway to 945 m, an approximate 200m extension, widening clearway and resurfacing the taxiway and apron.
Jakes Construction will commence the above work in the Sechelt Airport shortly. The works are scheduled to start on Monday, March 22nd, 2021 and will be completed by mid July 2021.
*The runway will be closed for paving from May 31st to June 15th.
The majority of the works are on site and will have no impact on nearby residences and businesses, but please be aware there may be increased truck traffic during this time.
Hours of work will be 7:00am until 7:00pm during Monday to Saturday.
ANY CONSTRUCTION ACTIVITY INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECTED TO:
Jakes Construction LTD. (The Contractor)
P: 604-701-3005 | M: 604-819-7260
ANY DESIGN OR ENGINEERING INQUIRIES MAY BE DIRECT TO:
Associated Engineering BC LTD. (District of Sechelt Consultant)
P: 604-293-1411 | D: 587-772-0698
ALL OTHER INQUIERIES MAY BE DIRECT TO:
District of Sechelt
On September 13, 2014, Sechelt Airport was renamed the Sunshine Coast Regional Airport.
The Sunshine Coast Regional Airport is an opportunity for business development on the Sunshine Coast. The airport is looking to expand for commercial operations. Plans are in place to create an airpark and an industrial park. This will provide services that are lacking in the community such as medevac, scheduled passenger flights, freight cargo and courier services.
- Investment, partnership and revenue generation potential on BC’s beautiful Sunshine Coast.
- Runway extension to 4000 feet with improvements to accommodate commercial air carriers.
- Development of 150 acres of adjacent industrial land, to attract aviation related businesses.
- Proven demand for scheduled air service. An estimated 62,500 passengers/year are awaiting scheduled air service. Lucrative opportunities exist for freight/cargo services to meet local businesses/industry demands.
- Support exists throughout the area’s local government authorities for an improved airport to provide scheduled air service and all weather landing capacity for emergency transportation such as air ambulance or disaster assistance aircraft.
- Initial marketing efforts show significant interest in a revitalized airport by the aviation industry.
- This Airport, owned by Sechelt, has a 2600’ runway with visual flight rating. It is accessed by charter rotary and fixed wing operators and recreational flyers, with 19 commercial, government and private tenants as well as several commercial leases with private hangars.
- The facility includes a fenced operation area, terminal building, runway lighting, fuel facility, and an Environment Canada weather station.
- An airport master plan (including engineering costing), business case and marketing plan have been completed.
- Sechelt is a growing community of 10,000 residents, on BC’s beautiful Sunshine Coast.
- Most of the residents and seasonal visitors currently travel to and from the Coast using the BC Ferries service.
- Total cost for revitalized runway and supporting infrastructure: $10 million