Subdivision is the process of adjusting or realigning an existing property line, or dividing land into two or more parcels, and is defined under the BC Land Title Act and the BC Strata Property Act.  Typically, subdivision requires the installation of or improvements to municipal infrastructure along the property frontage, including roads, sewer and utilities.  Municipalities appoint an “Approving Officer”, who acts independently to consider and approve or reject subdivision applications. The Approving Officer considers such things as suitability of the land, potential hazards, environmental impact, legal restrictions related to the land, access requirements, servicing requirements, and adherence to various local and provincial regulations.

Subdivision process

  1. The District encourages you to discuss your plans with one of our planners at an early stage to identify the information needed and which requirements might apply to your specific situation. 
  2. Fill out the application form, pay the application fee and provide all the necessary documentation required for a complete application. 
  3. Your application will be referred to agencies such as Vancouver Coastal Health, Ministry of Transportation & Infrastructure, Sechelt Fire Department, etc. 
  4. Based on results of the review, you may receive “Preliminary Layout Review (PLR)”.  This is a letter outlining all the conditions that have to be met before the subdivision can be approved.  One of the main requirements for subdivision approval is entering into a servicing agreement (with the District’s Engineering Department). The servicing agreement specifies required off site services (roads, sewers, drainage). 
  5. When all the conditions are met and the lots are serviced with utilities, the subdivision may be approved by the Approving Officer and forwarded to the Land Title Office for registration.

For more detailed information please review the Applications Guide.

Subdivision and Development Control Bylaw

Subdivision requirements include engineering standards for roads, sewer, and servicing.  Most applicants use registered professionals to outline a plan of subdivision, for example roads, sewer, septic systems, lot layout.  A complete and detailed overview of subdivision requirements is outlined in the District of Sechelt Subdivision and Development Control Bylaw No. 430, 2003.

Road naming and civic addressing

Names for newly constructed municipal roads are assigned by Council by bylaw, as noted in the District’s Road Naming Policy. The policy provides guidelines and procedures for naming and renaming municipal roads, including public streets, paths, walkways, trails, lanes, bridges, thoroughfares, and any other public ways.

Once a subdivision has been approved, new road names may be assigned.

For specific neighbourhoods or areas, a road names bylaw may already exist, containing a list of names to choose from. In this case, the road name could be assigned immediately.

If a road names bylaw does not contain names for a specific area, road names may be proposed in line with the road naming policy, and may be considered by Council for adoption as a bylaw.

Once a road name is approved, a civic address can be assigned. Please contact the Sunshine Coast Regional District for assistance with civic addressing. 

What are Development Cost Charges (DCCs)?

Development Cost Charges (DCCs) are levied on new development to help pay for the new or expanded municipal infrastructure necessary to service the demands of that new development.

The District of Sechelt Development Cost Charge Bylaw No. 554, 2016 lays out the applicable charges for the different types of development to fund the DCC Reserves for:

  • Drainage, or stormwater management;
  • Sewer system (where applicable);
  • Roads;
  • Parks; and 
  • Water service (collected by District of Sechelt on behalf of Sunshine Coast Regional District, as per SCRD's Bylaw No. 693, 2015).

When are DCCs Payable?

For single family residential subdivision developments - DCCs are paid on each new lot created, at time of final subdivision approval.

For multi-family residential, industrial, commercial, or institutional developments, DCCs are paid at the construction stage, at time of issuance of a building permit. The final DCC calculation is based on the gross floor areas as indicated on the building permit application drawings for each building permit.

Subdivision and Development – Servicing Agreements

One of the responsibilities that lie within the Engineering Department is the review and implementation of the engineering requirements of the Subdivision and Development Control Bylaw as they pertain to property development.

New development often requires the construction of new roads, or upgrades to existing roads, boulevards, sanitary sewer system, drainage system, streetlights and other utilities.  Engineering designs are reviewed against the bylaw requirements and best engineering practices by the District’s Development Engineer.  Upon design approval, permission for construction is granted through a Servicing Agreement process.

In addition to the requirements of Bylaw No. 430, the design and construction of the built environment must be guided by a vision of the District’s future, the Official Community Plan, and attention to public safety and environmental concerns.  Staff are committed to ensuring that all municipal infrastructure meets the needs and standards of the community and that delivery of services to residents and businesses is provided in the most cost effective and efficient manner possible.