Short Term Rental

Short Term Rentals are an important part of our community, providing accommodation for tourists and local community members. Many short term rentals are in residential neighbourhoods and it is also important for the business owner to ensure their clients are following District of Sechelt Bylaws and Public Health Regulations. 

Short term rentals must be licensed in the District of Sechelt. Please review the Short Term Rental Schedule to Business License Bylaw No. 520, 2012 (See Schedule B) and Short Term Residential License Form if you are interested in starting up a new short term rental. To apply for a licence, the completed application form, the licence fee and the security deposit must be delivered to the District Office. We can be reached at 604-885-1986 for any questions.

Please note that keeping your business license in good standing means following all provincial and federal statutes, including current Public Health Orders. To report a violation of a public health order, please call Vancouver Coastal Health at 1-888-268-4319 or the RCMP non-emergency line at 604-885-2266. For emergencies call 9-1-1. 

The District of Sechelt maintains bylaws on such issues as noise, unsightly premises, pesticides and dog licensing and control.  The bylaw enforcement officers work to achieve compliance to the bylaws of Sechelt by its citizens and visitors. 

We recommend that proprietors of short term rentals post signage in their rental accommodation to inform their clients of local bylaws and reminders that can help ensure the peaceful enjoyment of the neighbourhood by visitors and residents. Recommended signage includes:

  • above the kitchen sink: “Do not dump grease down the drain”
  • by the kitchen garbage bin: “Garbage is a wildlife attractant. Please dispose of all waste in the _______________________.” Make sure to specify the wildlife-proof storage location, or indicate if renters are responsible for taking their own garbage off-site.
  • information on noise bylaws and penalties to put near patios/exits.


Renting of accommodation on a residentially zoned property for periods of less than 30 days, in situations other than a Bed and Breakfast operation, is considered a short term rental.

In January 2005, the District introduced regulations and licensing for short term rental operations.  These regulations were developed to set conditions for renting of cottages/vacation properties that also help protect the quality of life in residential neighbourhoods.